Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Using the Whole Chicken

REAL EASY CHICKEN BROTH - w/ LEFTOVER CHICKEN

a la (or rather au) Jamie Oliver, who is kinda like the British Michael Pollan + Mark Bittman/2 + UK. He is currently in America trying to improve eating health and other cool things.
http://www.jamieoliver.com/

For those of us who are still in the un-delicious dark, one of the tastiest and easiest broths is that made from LEFTOVER ROTISSERIE/ROAST CHICKEN -- bones, skin & scraps! Don't forget the brown gelatin stuck on the serving container! Within 1-2 hours, you have a savory, deep-brown and luscious broth that gives some real home comfort -- AND, you didn't even have to buy another chicken! Yay, frugal!

This is so easy I can write it in two sentences:
First, buy/make a rotisserie chicken and eat the meat (or shred it off with a fork & use later).
Then, just throw the chicken into a pot with your preferred spices & herbs, cover with water, bring to boil and immediately reduce to a low simmer for about 1.5 hours.

These are the veggies, herbs & spices I used*:

BROTH MIX:
2 L organic carrots, ends cut off & quartered
4 organic celery stalks, quartered (because I love celery; other recipes always call for less)
1 L onion, peeled & quartered
1/2 tsp oregano
1 T salt (or less; add 1 tsp and then taste it an hour in)
1 tsp minced garlic (I bought a jar of it to save time) - you could also use some crushed cloves.
8 whole peppercorns
1 bay leaf

*If you want to have a clearer broth (though it will be cloudy still), strain it & eat the veggies. I have no idea why, but most recipes tell you to DISCARD vegetables -- WASTE, I say!!

Thus quartering the carrots & celery will make it LOTS easier to pick em out after cooking.
I didn't strain it so I just chopped them into 1/2" pieces.

----------------------------
NOTES:

To make it extra nice for me, I actually chopped the onion. Then I heated 1 T bacon grease (reserved from making bacon cornbread (see first post comment)) in the pot & sauteed the onions for about 5 minutes. I added the celery and tossed it with the onions for a bit to sweat it.
After about 7 minutes of this I threw in the leftover chicken, poured enough cold water to cover, threw in the carrots & spices and set it to boil.

When it boils, immediately turn the heat down to get a nice low simmer. Cover it up and wait an hour; taste and adjust seasoning.

At this point it is probably about ready. You could cover it and simmer another 30 minutes, or do what I did -- get it on a hearty simmer for about 20-25 minutes so it REALLY reduces and becomes a nice dark-brown condensed broth. I fit the broth & veggies into one 1-qt mason jar. I did this so it would fit neatly into my tiny fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment