Monday, February 22, 2010

Simple Bread and Butter Pudding (With Accents)

This is a simple recipe. I am occasionally seized by the impulse to craft incredibly elaborate meals with 20 ingredients, but when it comes to this, it's all about recipes that are easy to remember and elaborate.

I added some kicks here and there for extra oohs. I used things lying around my shelf (actually it is a "kitchen box" since I live in a 6x10 room :P)

Mm, mm, that most traditional of British comfort foods! (We are not including black pudding here.)

SIMPLE BREAD AND BUTTER PUDDING (WITH ACCENTS)
You customize the spice & other extra ingredients!

=Ingredients=
5 slices crust-on bread
3-4 T butter, softened
1/4 c sugar
1 tsp cinnamon or other (mixed) spice (I used cardamom)
2 c (whole) milk
2-3 eggs (large, organic, free-range)
Extras: raisins (I used cranberries, golden raisins, 2 tsp shredded dried coconut)

=Instructions=
1. Generously butter the bread slices on ONE side. Then cut into triangles or rectangles.
2. Place some bread in a baking pan BUTTER SIDE UP -- I used a loaf pan; you can use whatever you have. FOR EACH LAYER of bread, sprinkle on some sugar, spice & extras (raisins, etc.). So it will be BREAD - SPICE + RAISINS - BREAD - SPICE + RAISINS.
3. Beat/Whisk together eggs and milk in a bowl. Pour over bread.
4. Leave it for 30 minutes to allow the bread to soak up the liquid. Then
BAKE at 350 F for 30 minutes, or until brown on top.

Good served in bowls with cream or vanilla pudding poured on top!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment